Schedule Your Free Consultation

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients and prospective clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options

Tipping The Scales Of
Justice In Your Favor

Consequences from DUI conviction cross New York state lines

On Behalf of | Jun 23, 2020 | Uncategorized |

While on vacation out-of-state, you celebrated with alcohol a bit too much. You get arrested for and charged with drunk driving. A night in jail provides the chance to sober up, and you ponder your fate. A few days later, you travel home with family. After several weeks of legal proceedings, a drunk driving conviction is on your record.

If you think your driving troubles ended upon your return from out of state, you better think again. In New York, as in other states, you face related consequences stemming from a drunk driving conviction that occurred elsewhere.

Expect license revocation

A drunk driving conviction from no matter what state will haunt you for some time. The state of New York will find out about your offense, so do not expect that it goes away once you have crossed that state line.

Here is what will happen to you in New York after a drunk driving conviction outside the state:

  • Driver’s license revocation for a minimum of 90 days: This applies to adults 21 years of age and older convicted of alcohol- or drug-related driving violations in other states as well as the Canadian provinces of Ontario or Quebec.
  • Driver’s license revocation for at least a year: This applies to drivers under the age of 21 convicted of alcohol- or drug-related driving violations in other states as well as the nearby Canadian provinces of Ontario or Quebec. In addition, anyone in this age group with any alcohol conviction will have his or her license revoked for at least a year or until the age of 21, whichever is the longest.

Could you have avoided a drunk driving conviction in another state? It is a little late to ponder that. However, such a situation exemplifies the need to get experienced legal guidance.


FindLaw Network